Art Life Chooks
Learning to leave the city and love the countryAuthor: Annette Hughes
Imprint: 4th Estate
Featured in the July, 2008 magazine
(A good read)
Add this book to your reading list
1. Have you ever thought of making a dramatic change to your life in the way that Annette does? How do you think you would deal with the reality of such a change?
2. Do ′tree changes′ such as Annette′s express our desire for a simpler life or the desire to begin over again?
3. How does art shape how Annette sees the world?
4. Thinking of the challenges that Annette & Geoffrey face from the land and the changing seasons, how much control do they really have?
5. Annette faces the choice between continuing as a teacher, which involves the very public sphere and success measured by external factors, and concentrating on her private world of painting. Which would give you the greater satisfaction?
6. What qualities do you think the school students responded to in Annette?
7. Does Annette convince us that she has turned her back on city life for good?